Write 3-4 pages addressing the following questions:
– Who is this character? Is s/he a first-generation immigrant (born in another country) or a second-generation immigrant (born in the United States to immigrant parents)? What are his/her most important character traits? What scenes in the story demonstrate these traits?
– Is this character and his/her experience representative of his/her ethnic group of immigrants in America, based on the information in the story? That is, does this character experience similar things as others in his/her ethnic group, or does s/he have a unique experience? Why or why not?
– How does this immigrant see America? And how does America view this immigrant? Give an example or two from the story.
– What does â€œthe American dreamâ€ mean to this immigrant? Does s/he attain the life or qualities of life inherent in the American dream? Why or why not?
NOTE: It is not necessary to give a complete plot summary. Use plot details only to support the points you make. You may assume we are familiar with the story and do not need to hear a recap.
– A minimum of three full pages of writing
– Your name and page numbers at the top of each page in the header position
– A creative and informative title (make sure to include the storyâ€™s author and title in your title)
– Proper use of grammar and punctuation
– No larger than a 12 point font
– An introduction and conclusion
– Direct quotations from the text should be enclosed in quotation marks and following by parentheses containing the authorâ€™s last name and the page number from which the quotation is taken. â€œHere is an exampleâ€ (Field 1). (Notice that the period comes after the parentheses.)
– Absolutely no plagiarism! Any instance of plagiarism will result in no credit granted for this paper. All sources other than the story itself should be cited parenthetically and in a bibliography.