Informative Speech Outline
Specific Purpose: At the end of my speech, the audience will be able to describe what consultant pharmacists are, some jobs they perform, and some advantages of utilizing consultant pharmacists in senior care facilities.
Central Idea: Consultant pharmacists are important because they aid in the improvement of senior care and quality of life for institutionalized seniors.
- When you think of a pharmacist, what comes to mind?
- People typically think of filling prescriptions and counseling patients in a retail setting.
- I will speak about the consultant pharmacist today, which wikipedia.com defines as a “specialized pharmacist who focuses on reviewing and managing the medication regimens of patients, particularly those in institutional settings such as nursing homes.”
- According to ascp.com, “There are 5.5 million seniors with long-term disabilities in the United States. This figure is expected to increase to 10 million by the year 2020, and to 20 million by 2040.”
- Consultant pharmacists are important because they aid in the improvement of senior care and quality of life for individuals living in institutions like nursing homes.
Transition: To understand the importance of consultant pharmacists you must further understand what they are.
- These are some of the characteristics of consultant pharmacists.
- Completed pharmacy school
- Medication therapy experts
- Have specific knowledge of geriatric care
- Typically work for, or own their own firm or practice
- There are many jobs these pharmacists perform, but these are a few of great importance.
- Check that prescribed medications are appropriate for older patients.
- Double check that certain medications are safe to use together.
- Adjust drug regimens or possibly medication types to prevent or reduce adverse side effects because about 28% of hospitalizations of seniors are due to adverse drug effects, according to ascp.com
- Possibly adjust medication dosages or brands to save patient money.
Transition: Now that you understand the type of people that work as consultants, you will see how they perform many jobs to help patients.
Transition: These results I have just presented are very important, we will probably all agree.
- ascp.com states that “There are more than 1.6 million nursing home beds in the United States; this represents an increase of over 25% since 1980.”
- Since there is an increase of this magnitude, the significance of the consultant pharmacist is growing as well.
- Senior citizens are important to all of us here, so the work of consultants is of the utmost importance because we want the elderly to be well taken care of.
- Thank you very much for your attention.
American Society of Consultant Pharmacists. Fact Sheet. 26 February 2004.
Wikipedia. Consultant Pharmacist.25 January 2006.
Medscape Pharmacists. Promotion of a Safe Medication Environment.
© 2001 Medscape Portals, Inc.