ITEC 201- Lab: Getting Started
The objective of this lab is to further introduce us to the some of the themes of the course and to start collecting basic information by using open data to place into perspective something about an individual, a class or group, a region, an employment sector, an environmental concern, a criminal justice issue or whatever you decide to explore. Please be sure to take your time with the answers and support your conclusions. To receive full credit, please cite your sources where appropriate (this will help you later on).
1. What areas comprise the Baltimore/DC Metropolitan area(s)? What tool from the Open Data Resource Sheet did you use to place this in perspective (thereâ€™s multiple ways)?
2. Find the definition of a Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA): in light of this definition, what kind of area did you grow up? What term would you use to describe it and why? Cite sources as applicable.
3. Explore at least 5 websites on the Open Data Resource sheet:find statistics on an issue or topic relevant to the Baltimore/DCMetropolitan area? What can you conclude or infer about what the data means?
4. Using data fromUS Census Bureau(https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PS… )create a table that compares the following information for threeareas of Baltimore/DC MSA, be sure to include the data of Maryland (overall) as well to compare. Focus on population, (General population, persons under 5, under 18, over 65) , Living in same house 1 year & over, High school graduate or higher, bachelorâ€™s degree or higher, mean travel time to work, housing units homeownership rate, median household income, persons per household, persons below poverty level. Compare this with where youâ€™re originally from. How do the issues differ or seem similar? List at least three ways. Be sure to include with your write up either a copy of the table including where youâ€™re from or the entire Excel spreadsheet.
5. Do you notice any trends or anything significant among or between the areas? Explain.
6. In your own words describe several of the major problems Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and/or DC has to deal with(take your pick). Are these related in some way to infrastructure? Can using technology improve or alleviate any of these problems? (Support your answer from an Open Data Resource on the Sheet).
7. What technologies do you feel could be beneficial as the Baltimore/DC Metro area grows?
8. Thinking about the Towson University Campus (particularly if you live on campus), what could be improved by technology?
9. List three public services that a city would generally provideto its residents and how neglecting infrastructure associated with it might hamper progress or cause long-term harm. Explain by finding salient examples in the recent news; link to the news articles.
Note: I am originally from Saudi Arabia , Dammam city.